[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp 0.8.3 and those other operating systems

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 20:54:21 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Romain Francois <romain at r-enthusiasts.com>wrote:

> (http://win-builder.r-project.org/), and
>> yes, using
>> this service as part of integration testing before releasing to CRAN
>> will reduce
>> the number of problems for client packages that use Rcpp. 1000 unit
>> tests will
>> not help.
>> Indeed, this should be required given that you do not use or test
>> under Windows, yet there are many Windows users.
>>

> This is just plain wrong. We do test on windows. We obviously want it to
> work on windows.

Good to know. This was hard to see given the dismissive comments about
Windows made
earlier in this thread.

> As I said to you privately, releasing this version was higher on our
> (mainly mine) priority list because I wanted to demonstrate the released
> version. I though I had time to alert you but my time has been sinked by the
> conference, and the wireless connection was not all that good.

Are you prepared to make Dirk's assurance more precise by stating that in
the future
releases will not be done if known incompatibilities are introduced with
client packages
that will cause the build of those client packages to fail? You are of
course free to set your
priorities as you see fit, but client package authors need to understand
these priorities.

Thanks,
Dominick