[Rcpp-devel] r-forge error: undefined symbol: zgetri_

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 20 22:33:07 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM, baptiste auguie
<baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 20 August 2010 19:09, Romain Francois <romain at r-enthusiasts.com> wrote:

>>> This works for me on Ubuntu 10.4 / amd64 once I drop the Depends: on
>>> the package constants which is not on CRAN:
>>>
>>> edd at max:/tmp/cda$ R CMD INSTALL .
>>> * installing to library ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
>>> * installing *source* package ‘cda’ ...
>>> ** libs
>>> g++ -I/usr/share/R/include
>>> -I"/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/include"
>>> -I"/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RcppArmadillo/include"   -fpic  -O3 -g0
>>> -Wall -pipe  -c cda.cpp -o cda.o
>>> cda.cpp: In function ‘int progress_bar(double, double)’:
>>> cda.cpp:36: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void
>>> cda.cpp: In function ‘Rcpp::List linearExtinction(const arma::mat&, const
>>> arma::cx_mat&, double)’:
>>> cda.cpp:285: warning: unused variable ‘pi’
>>> g++ -shared -o cda.so cda.o -L/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/lib
>>> -lRcpp -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/lib -llapack -lblas
>>> -lgfortran -lm -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR
>>> installing to /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/cda/libs
>>> ** R
>>> ** inst
>>> ** preparing package for lazy loading
>>> ** help
>>> *** installing help indices
>>> ** building package indices ...
>>> ** testing if installed package can be loaded
>>>
>>> * DONE (cda)
>>> edd at max:/tmp/cda$ r -lcda -e'cat("Hello cda world\n")'
>>> Hello cda world
>>> edd at max:/tmp/cda$
>>>
>>> FWIW on Debian and Ubuntu R uses external lapack and blas libraries.
>>>
>>> Dirk
>>
>> That is also why it works on OSX, because here we are using the vecLib
>> framework for blas and lapack.
>>

> Thank you all for investigating the matter.
>

>> So you are left with a few options :
>> - don't call inv on your complex matrix
>
> i do need this, I feel it would be a waste to convert the matrix back
> to R format, invert it with R facilities, and then convert it back for
> Armadillo...

On many occasions where people think that they need to calculate a
matrix inverse they don't really need to do so.  For example you don't
need to calculate the inverse explicitly if all you are going to do is
to solve a linear system of equations.