[RQt-devel] qtbase mac issues resolved

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Wed Mar 24 04:53:07 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:26 AM, hadley wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ok, I understand the benefits for documentation and consistency.
> >
> > I propose these functions:
> >
> > qaddItem: layer$addLayer
> > qdeviceTransform: layer$deviceTransform(event)
> > q(row,col)Stretch[<-]: layer$layout()$(row,col)[Set]Stretch()
> > q(h,v)Spacing<-: layer$layout()$setHorizontal(Vertical)Spacing()
> > qbackgroundBrush<-: scene$backgroundBrush <- brush
> > qgraphicsScene: Qt$QGraphicsScene()
> > qclearSelection: layer$clearSelection()
> > qzValue<-: layer$setZValue()
> > qprimitives: layer$primitives()
> > qminimumSize<-: layer$setMinimumSize()
> > qcacheMode<-: layer$setCacheMode()
> > qclip<-: layer$setClip()
> > qfocus<-: layer$setFocus()
> > qlimits<-: layer$setLimits
> > qoverlayScene: layer$overlayScene()
> >
> > Think of anything else?
>
> Looks good.  I assume you'll have getters for all the setters? (e.g.
> qlimts: layer$getLimits)
>
> In my mind the next most important thing would be a bit of documentation
> about:
>
>  * units (data vs. pixel etc)
>  * the main classes: layer vs. scene
>  * how layer layouts work
>  * events
>
> These are all things that I've asked you about in the past, but I keep
> forgetting how they work.  If you could jot the essentials down
> somewhere, I'd be happy to add to them.

I can get started on this. Pretty busy though this week and next.

> It would also be nice to have a convenience method that would create a
> static image:
>
> static_image(function(p) {
>  qdrawPoint(0.1, 0.2, colour = "red")
> }
>
> This would initialise the scene and a layer, open the window and draw.
>  If !interactive() it would immediately close.  This would be useful
> for examples and tests.

That could be useful. I had in mind a 'snapshot' function for a
QGraphicsScene that would render() the scene to a QPainter (either created
by the user or created based on a filename). This way we would create the
Layers and Scene just as the user would, except we would render it
off-screen rather than display it through a PlotView.

Hadley