[Phylobase-devl] Planning the next release of phylobase

Thibaut Jombart jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Sat Feb 23 16:14:34 CET 2008

Hi again,

>>I mean that if I have a phylo4d object name foo, I should be able to
>>do something like foo[-c('taxa1', 'taxa2'), ].  This should probably
>>have a bit of discussion about how exactly it should work.  I would
>>think that using the data frame sub-setting as a models is a good start.
>>

>I think both "foo[tips]" and "foo[tips,traits]" could be used. But as a
>start, I would prefer "foo[tips]" as this is the less easy to do
>manually. Plus, I don't know if both can be implemented, but I'll try
>this afternoon if I have time.

And I had time this afternoon, so... but this is still open for
discussion of course.
I implemented a "[" operator for phylo4 and phylo4d objects. I put
documentation in the "subset" manpage.
As it is, we can use "foo[tips]" with phylo4 and "foo[tips]" or
"foo[tips,traits]" with phylo4d objects.
Allowed indices are the same as for a vector or a data.frame (integers,
characters, logical). I did a few tests which seemed ok, but more would
be useful for sure.

Cheers,

Thibaut.

--