[Phylobase-devl] Planning the next release of phylobase

Thibaut Jombart jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Sat Feb 23 13:16:35 CET 2008

Peter Cowan wrote:

>On Feb 22, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Ben Bolker wrote:
>

>>>2. Automagical subsetting of phylo4d objects.
>>>

>>OK, what do you mean by this?
>>

>I mean that if I have a phylo4d object name foo, I should be able to
>do something like foo[-c('taxa1', 'taxa2'), ].  This should probably
>have a bit of discussion about how exactly it should work.  I would
>think that using the data frame sub-setting as a models is a good start.

I think both "foo[tips]" and "foo[tips,traits]" could be used. But as a
start, I would prefer "foo[tips]" as this is the less easy to do
manually. Plus, I don't know if both can be implemented, but I'll try
this afternoon if I have time.

>>>3. A final decision on how nodes will be referred to by other
>>>commands.
>>>What does everyone think the best way to track and discuss these
>>>issues?  Via the mailing list?  A chat-room or telephone
>>>conference?   Or by the R-forge issue tracker?  Personally I'm
>>>interested in giving  the tracker a try, it would allow us to claim
>>>tasks and have  conversation about particular features/bugs.  What
>>>do other people  think?
>>>

>>Tracker is fine with me for now.

For me too.

>We can have custom categories in the tracker, are there particular
>areas we would like to separate the package into, or should we just
>have a flat list for the time being?
>
>I will look into getting changes in the tracker forwarded to the
>mailing list.

That would be nice. Categories in the tracker could just match those of
the TODO file. On the other hand, we may just give it a try and then see
if categories are actually needed (which I am not sure: is the package
that big already?).

Cheers,

Thibaut.