[Ipmpack-users] Defining two fecundity objects

Sergey Berg berg1546 at umn.edu
Mon Apr 8 19:16:37 CEST 2013

Good afternoon,

I am hoping to get some help in using IPMpack for evaluating the population
growth rate of a monocarpic plant species. I've read the documentation
provided for the IPMpack R package, but I'm having a bit of trouble with
defining the fecundity objects.

I have five main parameters - size, sizeNext, surv, fec1, and fec2. fec1 is
a binary variable that measures if a plant successfully produced offspring
(and subsequently died, fec1=1) or not (fec1=0). fec2 is the number of
offspring produced by the plant given fec1=1. I'm trying to understand
whether these two variables need to create separate fecundity objects or if
they should be combined into a single object, and how to do so.

I was successfully able to define the growth and survival objects via these
commands
gr1<-makeGrowthObj(dataf=dat,Formula=sizeNext~size)
sv1<-makeSurvObj(dataf=dat,Formula=surv~size+size2)
but the fecundity objects
fv1<-makeFecObj(dataf=dat,Formula=fec1~size,Family="gaussian",Transform="log")
are giving "Error in split.default(X, group) : first argument must be a
vector"

I've included a portion of the data below if that helps.
         size sizeNext surv fec1 fec2      stage  stageNext
2704  150       NA    0    0   NA continuous continuous
2705  225       NA    0    0   NA continuous continuous
2706  800       NA    0    1  699 continuous continuous
2707 1260       NA    0    1 1279 continuous continuous
2708 1380       NA    0    1 1926 continuous continuous
2709 1859       NA    0    1 1587 continuous continuous
2710  156      165    1    0   NA continuous continuous
2711   72      200    1    0   NA continuous continuous
2712  108      210    1    0   NA continuous continuous

Thank you very much in advance for any advice,

Sergey

--
Sergey S. Berg
National Science Foundation Research Fellow

University of Minnesota
174 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave
St. Paul, MN 55108