[inlinedocs] first impressions...

Toby Dylan Hocking Toby.Hocking at inria.fr
Sun May 1 19:12:18 CEST 2011

Hi Malcolm. Thanks for your email and thanks for your interest in
inlinedocs!

So far inlinedocs has not supported multi-paragraph descriptions since
the Writing R Extensions manual, section 2.1.1 "Documenting functions"
says it is for "A short description of what the function(s) do(es)
(one paragraph, a few lines only). (If a description is too long and
cannot easily be shortened, the file probably tries to document too
much at once.)" That being said it was an easy feature to add, so if
you checkout the most recent version of inlinedocs from svn you can
write multiparagraph descriptions.

Yes we have a workaround for ess-function-pattern. We have contacted
the ESS developers and told them about this issue, and we have written
a preliminary patch, but they haven't incorporated it into the main
ESS code yet. So in the meantime I recommend that you download the ESS
source from SVN and then apply the following patch

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/lisp/ess-function-pattern-patch/ess-function-pattern-more-general.patch?view=markup&revision=216&root=inlinedocs

and furthermore it sounds like you are a better elisp hacker than I,
so if you can think of further improvements, please tell us!

In fact ### comments on the line before the variable is first declared
is valid! Try it! It is also valid on the line AFTER for functions.

I don't really understand your comments about svUnit and the generated
PDF manual. Can you clarify?

In any case thanks for the interest and happy R package development!

Sincerely,
Toby Dylan Hocking
http://cbio.ensmp.fr/~thocking/