[GSoC-PortA] Mean-mETL objective?

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Sun Oct 6 15:04:51 CEST 2013

Can't we assume convexity, even if we're wrong?

In many cases, the upper hull of the mean/mETL space will be convex, and
the lack of convexity will manifest itself only in the lower hull.

Right now, we don't do the mean/ETL tangency portfolio even when we have
Gaussian ETL.  It seems that we should be able to support this for the
mean/ETL space, and extend it with appropriate caveats to the mean/mETL
space.

Doug is correct that in the presence of skewness and kurtosis the upper
hull may be sufficiently bumpy that the quadratic (or is it conical?)
form won't hold.  It seems that we could address this in the documentation.