[datatable-help] Classify User Input with Unique Identification Numbers

affableambler nfields at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 21:57:49 CEST 2016

I'm somewhat new to R and am trying to create a function that will take user
Input into a data frame, assign a new ID number to entries with new names,
and give the same ID number to inputs with the same name.

I wrote the following code:

options(stringsAsFactors = FALSE)
DbUpdate <- function(dataframe){
  newline=c()
  newline$Machine_Name=readline("Machine Name: ")
  newline$Bet=as.double(readline("Bet: "))
  newline$Return=as.double(readline("Return: "))
  if(newline$Machine_Name %in% dataframe$Machine_Name)
  {newline$MachineID=dataframe$MachineID[which(dataframe$Machine_Name %in%
newline$Machine_Name)]}
  else(newline$MachineID=sample(100:999,1,replace=T))
  dataframe=rbind(dataframe,newline,make.row.names=F)
  return(data.frame(dataframe))
}
data=data.frame()
data=DbUpdate(data)

It works for the first two entries I put in with the same Machine_Name, but
when I try to input a third with the same name, I get an "Invalid list
argument: all variables should have the same length" error.