[datatable-help] changing data.table by-without-by syntax to require a "by"

Arunkumar Srinivasan aragorn168b at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 00:13:02 CEST 2014

Juancentro,

Matt started a post on this topic in March this year here: http://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/pipermail/datatable-help/2014-March/002430.html Have you read it or contributed there? If not, when and where did you complain?
Matt also checked all dependent packages on data.table (on CRAN, I believe, bioconductor - not sure) and contacted those authors whose unit tests failed on this issue, IIRC. Are you developing a package that's dependent on data.table? If so, is it already on CRAN or bioconductor? If not, how do you expect us to reach you other than through the mailing list?
And 1.9.3 is a development version, where these things are meant to be ironed out before pushing a *stable* release to CRAN. And IIUC, by the time it'll be pushed to CRAN, there should a provision to use older feature or somehow another fix so that the older feature can be properly deprecated. As I said before, this is *still* in development, and we've not gotten to it yet.

I think rather that you should be following the mailing list closely (and NEWS) and contribute to the conversations when decisions are being made.

Arun