[datatable-help] fread: support int64 package as well, or an option to make 64-bit integers characters

Chris Neff caneff at gmail.com
Thu May 16 15:46:15 CEST 2013

Hi all,

For reasons I won't go into here, I do not use the bit64 package, instead
opting to use int64.  When I load something that is a long numeric ID (i.e.
something I actually want as a character not an integer), fread loads this
as a 64-bit integer using the bit64 encoding.  This makes it impossible to
convert those to characters without having the bit64 package loaded.

Would it be possible to either support int64 as well, or if not an option
to convert it to character when it would decide that 64-bit ints are
necessary?

Thanks,
Chris