[datatable-help] data.table on existing data.frame list

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Mon Aug 5 20:40:47 CEST 2013

Hi,

When the file contains the column names (as is best practice) then any
text after the last column is read (such as comments) is ignored (with
warning is intended).  Some improvement here could be made but comments
in large files isn't something that's come up before. fread isn't a drop
in replacement for read.table yet, but it would be good if it was.

If fread is reading your comments into a column,  then I guess the first
row is data row and the last column contains the comments. Just delete
the comments afterwards using DT[,lastcolumn:=NULL]. Or include column
names in the file.

To hard-name columns, can use setnames() afterwards (either to rename
old to new names, or to overwrite whatever names are there, if any).

If you want to read a subset of columns, use 'select' argument.

The plan is to create a wrapper for fread that can be used as a drop in
replacement for read.table.

Are your files large and did you create them or are they given?

Matthew