[datatable-help] Two questions about merge.data.table

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Tue May 22 03:37:05 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 20:54 -0400, Chris Neff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One is a feature question:  why is it that only "by" is supported and
> not "by.x" and "by.y" like in merge.data.frame? Is there some big
> technical reason or just because it hasn't been implemented yet?  It
> is kind of inconvenient when you have different names for the same
> thing to have to rename just to join.

I noticed that too recently. No reason, just not implemented. You don't
need to rename columns in X[Y] syntax (what I do almost all the time)
but I would find by.x and by.y useful too. Please add as FR.

> Secondly, and a little more general than just merge, why do I have to do
>
> ?data.table:::merge.data.table
>
> just to see the help page for merge? I can also see it through
>
> help(packages="data.table")
>
> but not when I try
>
> ?merge.data.table
>
> Is it because you don't export the functions? Is there a way to make
> that more user friendly?

Fixed, thanks.

o   Typing ?merge now asks whether to display ?merge.data.frame
    or ?merge.data.table, and ?merge.data.table works directly. Thanks
    to Chris Neff for suggesting.