[datatable-help] Two questions about merge.data.table

Chris Neff caneff at gmail.com
Tue May 22 02:54:32 CEST 2012

Hi all,

One is a feature question:  why is it that only "by" is supported and
not "by.x" and "by.y" like in merge.data.frame? Is there some big
technical reason or just because it hasn't been implemented yet?  It
is kind of inconvenient when you have different names for the same
thing to have to rename just to join.

Secondly, and a little more general than just merge, why do I have to do

?data.table:::merge.data.table

just to see the help page for merge? I can also see it through

help(packages="data.table")

but not when I try

?merge.data.table

Is it because you don't export the functions? Is there a way to make
that more user friendly?

Thanks,
Chris