[datatable-help] data.table - sort key - columns with real numbers

Short, Tom TShort at epri.com
Wed Jun 30 19:08:35 CEST 2010

For feature requests, there's a "Feature Request" section on R-forge.
You might even find yours listed.

https://r-forge.r-project.org/tracker/?atid=978&group_id=240&func=browse

With open-source projects, the best way to get a requested feature is to
become involved. Asking how soon something will be implemented is one of
the worst ways.

The easiest way to handle your issue is by converting to factors. It's
not that messy. Even your method shouldn't be that messy with a couple
of conversion functions.

In Matthew's recent upgrades, he set up the data.table infrastructure to
better support decimal keys (possibly in the future). The biggest
drawback is probably that grouping would be much slower because the fast
grouping relies on integers with a range less than 100000.

- Tom