[datatable-help] data.table - sort key - columns with real numbers

Desmond Wee globalvestor at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 30 17:32:52 CEST 2010

Dear Mathew & Tom,

I would like to thank you very much for contributing such an excellent
and useful package. I have been trying to write some form of R codes to
overcome some of the limitations data.frame and you have addressed the
issues.

I have a data table which has columns containing decimal points. Your
current setkey ( ) only allows integer mode and do not allow decimals. I
figured out that to overcome the problem I need to multiple the column
by 10^7 to convert to integer and then to divide by 10^7 to obtain the
actual value. It is a very messy and cumbersome process. Could you
please make changes to allow keys to have real numbers and maybe other
modes too? I would like to suggest that your codes do the conversions
and would make the package more elegant.

Please inform me whether you will be modifying your package and how soon
will you be attempting to incorporate the changes?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Desmond Wee