[datatable-help] Detailed verbose after common data operations?

mbacou mel at mbacou.com
Fri Dec 10 04:53:20 CET 2010

Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion. [verbose=TRUE] does provide timing for grouping
operations, but I wonder if this could be extended to other fairly standard
operations with more user-friendly messages -- and maybe using another
argument if verbose is typically used for developers and not for end-users,
or by calling another function (similar to warnings() behavior).

For example:

- on data.table creation
=> "DF with xx variables and yy observations indexed on {w, z}"

- on index creation
=> "key created on variables x, y, z with xx unique values"

- on subsetting
=> "xx observations affected"

- on joining
=> "xx observations matched, yy NAs generated"

I'm happy to hear about other users' views and suggestions here.

--Mel.