[datatable-help] Is data.table ready for prime-time andsensitive work?

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Tue Dec 7 14:30:42 CET 2010

Just to clarify also about the date of first release - March 2010? Any
chance Mel you looked at the CRAN archive page and read off the last row?
Oldest is first not last on that page :

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/data.table/

v1.0 was released April 2006 but that was removed from CRAN happily because
base quickly (within weeks) included features that removed the need for
data.table.  It was re-released in Aug 2008 with new functionality so that's
the relevant release date for your purpose.

Feel free to post the puzzling results. You've done well to use it for 2
weeks without posting, so you can probably tilt towards using this list more
(on a new thread please). If we can get you over those hurdles first then
reconsider if the 'robustness' question still stands.

Other info which you may have not have found yet ...

Crantastic has 5 detailed user reviews of data.table. It does state that
v1.1 was released over 2 years ago, too, so leads me to guess you may have
missed the link to crantastic on the data.table homepage.

There are some oddities in the ranking formula but if you look at
http://crantastic.org/popcon and realise that the batch near the bottom
starting with reshape, ggplot2 and plyr should be at the top (seems like a
bug, I'll let them know) then data.table appears to be around the 8th most
popular CRAN package with average score 4.7/5 and 10 users, compared to
ggplot2's 39 users.  So crantastic itself is not popular since everyone
knows that ggplot2 has many more than 39 users, and some very popular and
stable packages don't have any votes at all. Even so perhaps this small
amount of data may be useful in your assessment generally.  "data.table" is
not the easiest to google for.

The NEWS file (link on the homepage) says that v1.2 was released in Aug
2008, too, at the bottom, along with what changed in each release since
then.

Matthew

news:AANLkTik=0j5da9j8_zVaW4DZhygKg6oqRP1Pg+JG3TFg at mail.gmail.com...