[adegenet-forum] testing sPCA differences

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jul 14 11:42:16 CEST 2014

Hi Xavier,

yes, it makes sense. I think Stéphane Dray (Cced) did something along these lines a while back. The basic idea is to use a spatial grid to define new spatial units which can be compared across different categories of individuals.

Building up a test for this should not be too complicated, if we're talking about one single variable. You can just use the (possibly standardized) difference in Moran'I values, and use permutations to generate the reference distribution. Type I error will (by construction) be OK, you'll only have to assess the power of the test.

When considering more than one variable, things get complicated as basic tests are already becoming more scarce. As for sPCA PCs, the problem is that they are already optimized, so most simple tests are circular. The non-independence of the tests of different PCs also is a problem. Valeria Montano started working on such issues and may be interested in this discussion. Last time I checked she was on this ML but I'll Cc her to bully her into the discussion.