[adegenet-forum] data file import

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 22:55:27 CEST 2011

Hello Chris,

that's a tricky bit, since genind/genpop objects were not originally designed to handle different ploidy in the same dataset. However, genind codes allele data as frequencies, so in principle it can store data with heterogeneous ploidy.

It is a kludge, but the simplest way to proceed is probably to recode your haploid loci as diploid with twice the same allele. Then read the entire dataset as a table and use df2genind to convert it, specifying "ploidy=2". It is not pretty, but will do the job.

Note that you can duplicate the alleles for your haploid loci easily using paste; for instance:
###
> x <- c("111","100","80","88","101") # x replaces the haploid locus - say a microsat
> y <- paste(x,x,sep="/")
[1] "111/111" "100/100" "80/80"   "88/88"   "101/101"
###

(use whatever you used in the diploid dataset as a separator)

All the best