[adegenet-forum] adegenet package: Monmonier function data export

Thibaut Jombart jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Tue Nov 25 14:43:38 CET 2008

James Cheshire wrote:
> Dear adegenet users,
>
> When I print the Monmonier object class it only lists the coordinates
> of the the first three points in each run as follows:
>
> $call:monmonier(xy = Coordinates, dist = Dist, cn = nbDelaunay, nrun =
> 20,
>     scanthres = TRUE)
>
>       # Object content #
> Class:  monmonier
> $nrun (number of successive runs):  20
> $run1 ... $run20: runs of the algorithm
> $threshold (minimum difference between neighbours):  0.4003
> $xy: spatial coordinates
> $cn: connection network
>
>       # Runs content #
> # Run 1
> # First direction
> Class:  list
> $path:
>                x        y
> Point_1 361546.4 280420.0
> Point_2 376145.2 284840.4
> Point_3 387056.9 281490.3
>

> Is it possible to print or extract all the coordinates used to plot
> the Monmonier boundaries? My reason for doing this is so that I can
> export them into a Geographical Information System software package.
>
> Many thanks for your help in advance, it is greatly appreciated.
>
> James Cheshire
>
> PhD Student
> University College London

Hello James,

yes, it is possible (see ?monmonier, "value" section for a description
of monmonier objects). Here is an example:

##
library(adegenet)
load(system.file("files/mondata2.rda",package="adegenet"))
cn2 <- chooseCN(mondata2$xy,type=1,ask=FALSE)
mon2 <- monmonier(mondata2$xy,dist(mondata2$x2),cn2,threshold=2, nrun=3)
plot(mon2,mondata2$x2,method="greylevel",add.arr=FALSE,bwd=6,col=c("red","blue","green"),csize=.5)

mon2$run1 # gives the content of first boundary
mon2$run1$dir1 # gives the content of first boundary, 1st direction
mon2$run1$dir1$path  # gives the content of first boundary, 1st
direction, coordinates
##

Another simpler way maybe using Peter Solymos's coords.monmonier (see
?coords.monmonier):
##
 > coords.monmonier(mon2)

$run1