[Traminer-users] linking short sequences with clusters based on long sequences

Rimantas Vosylis rvosylis at live.com
Mon Feb 16 16:24:37 CET 2015

Hadrien,

Thank You for these responses. I will try to explain design of my data a bit more.

My sequences are alligned to the moment my participants finish school (it happens at about 18 years of age). One object in the sequence represents a role combination status for 6 months. So for 30-year-olds I have about 24 objects (12 years * 2) ±1 object. For 25-year-olds, its about 14 objects. E.g.

For 30-year-olds

223334457777888999999999

For 25-year-olds

22333445777788

At the moment I have two sequences for each participant, because I analyze sequences for education-work and family (residence, marriage, parenthood) transitions separately. Now I only focus on education-work transitions, as I will repeat the same steps for family later.

My first goal of the study is to describe the existing transitions based on 30-year-olds only.

However, the next goal is to compare how these groups (clusters) differ on various psychosocial indicators e.g. personal identity

In addition (this is where it gets complicated), I want to compare how individuals who are only in the middle of that particular life path (trajectory) differ on various psychosocial indicators. The best way to do that would be to have actual longitudinal data for both: status sequences and psychosocial indicators. Yet I do not have such data. What I have is a group of 25-year-olds that were also assessed with Life History Calendar. Since I know their sequences as well, I believe that I could link them to the most likely trajectory based on the similarity of their current sequence. For example, if the representative sequence of cluster X is: 223334457777888999999999, then this squence for 25-year-old: 22333445777788 is very similar to the representative one of cluster 1. It only misses the information for the last 5 years. However, I am not sure which strategy is better: (A) to start with only 30-year-olds and then recalculate the similarity of 25-year-olds to some representative sequence or (B) to run all analyses with both 25- and 30-year-olds together. For (A) I have a problem of selecting a representative sequence, which I did not solve yet. For (B) I have a problem of getting a bit different results with hierarchical cluster analysis (the clusters extracted look similar but some notable differences exist).

I have considered converting into distinct state sequences, but I think it is not suitable for me. Here is the reason why:

Let’s say I have a sequence (a) for 30-year-old: 1111222233333333333344, then it will be converted into 1234. Now let’s say I have a sequence (b) for 25-year olds: 111122223333. It will be converted into 123. Now let’s say I have a sequence (c) for 25-year olds: 1234444444444. It will be converted into 1234. Sequence (b) will have a larger distance from (a) sequence even though the they are the same (except that I do not know how it will finish). Therefore, what I want is the opposite: I want (b) to have smaller distance from (a), and (c) to have larger distance.

I also completely understand that this sort of analysis is valid only with the assumption that the 25-year-old cohort will follow the same life trajectories as 30-year-olds. However, I think I can build enough support to believe so.

Maybe You and others could give me some more thoughts about such analysis.

Thank You in advance – I really appreciate any help!!

Rimantas