[Traminer-users] plots with group option vs separate plots

Jeremy Reynolds jeremyr at uga.edu
Mon Jan 13 22:09:08 CET 2014

Hello,

I have been making sequence plots, and I seem to be getting very different
results when I use the "group" option of the seqdplot or seqIplot command
than when I draw separate plots for each subgroup.

After creating a sequence object and performing optimal matching using PAM,
I have chosen a 4 cluster solution.  I then create a single plot that shows
the distribution across states in each of the 4 clusters like this:

seqdplot(seq.hc, group = pam5vs$clustering$cluster4, border = NA,
title="pam5vs")

If I subset the data and make a separate plot for one of the 4 clusters as
in the code below, the N matches the results above (the total N and the N
across the states), but I get a very different impression of how the cases
are distributed across the states in the two graphs.  Am I doing something
wrong?  I would be happy to provide more detail if needed.

Thanks,

Jeremy

cluster4 <- subset(bhps, pam5vs$clustering$cluster4==(6875))
seq.cluster4 <- seqdef(cluster4 [4:21], labels = c("M", "S", "F", "O", "U"
))
seqdplot(seq.cluster4, border = NA, title="pam5vs cluster 6875")

--
Dr. Jeremy Reynolds