[Traminer-users] clustering of event sequences

Matthias Studer Matthias.Studer at unige.ch
Fri Mar 16 17:21:43 CET 2012

Dear Hugo,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the function was not
publicly released and that's why you didn't found it. So please
apologize for this. I have now added it to TraMineRextras . As you may
find on the R-forge page
(http://r-forge.r-project.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4296),  "This
package provides functions that haven't been integrated into TraMineR
either because they do not completely comply with the TraMineR logic and
homogeneity requirements or because they need further testing".

You may install this package using the following command. You may need
to wait 24 hours before the new version of the package is available (you
may check here https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=743 if  Rev. is
set to 194, it's OK).

install.packages("TraMineRextras", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

The function to compute distance between event sequence is "seqedist"
and the function to represent graphically a set of event sequence is
called seqedplot.

Here is a short example.

  library(TraMineRextras)
library(cluster)
data(actcal.tse)

data(actcal.tse)
actcal.seqe <- seqecreate(actcal.tse)
## We have 8 different event in this dataset
## We set indel cost of an event to 1 and v param to 0.1
idcost <- rep(1, 8)
dd <- seqedist(actcal.seqe, idcost=idcost, vparam=.1)

## These events sequences are mainly stationnary...
cluster10 <- pam(dd, diss=TRUE, k=10, cluster.only=TRUE)
seqedplot(actcal.seqe, group=cluster10, type="hazard", breaks=6)

Hope this helps.
Matthias Studer