[Traminer-users] how is NA treated in traminer

Gilbert Ritschard Gilbert.Ritschard at unige.ch
Wed Apr 20 11:32:36 CEST 2011

Hi Phil,

The seqdplot function (seqplot with the type="d" argument) calls the
seqstatd function (http://mephisto.unige.ch/traminer/doc/seqstatd.html)
in which the with.missing argument is, by default, set as FALSE.

The solution to display the missings in the sequence distribution plot
is to add with.missing=TRUE to the argument list of seqdplot:

seqdplot(seqdata, with.missing=TRUE)

Hope this helps.
Gilbert

On 20-Apr-11 10:50, Philip Parker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking at using Traminer to explore post-school transition
> pathways. I would like to identify some theoretical typical
> transitions (straight to university, gapyear, vocational training,
> uncertain (or frequent change) ). I would then like to use these
> derived clusters taken from traminer and look at what variables at
> school predict entery into these different pathways.
>
> So far so good however my data has about 15% missing data (coded as
> left=NA, gaps=NA, right=NA). I note that when I run traminer plots
> after clustering (and before), the state distribution plots give group
> transitions without missing data but the Sequence frequency plots show
> the missing data.
>
> I was wondering whether traminer imputes the most likely transition
> pattern for the missing data and hence the state distribution plots
> are based on some sort of imputed full sample, or whether the state
> distribution plots represent some sort of listwise deletion by ploting
> only complete cases? This becomes important after clustering as my
> hypothesised four group turn up. The problem is that the fourth
> cluster represents the uncertain (or frequent change) in the
> distribution plots but the state  frequency plots suggest that the
> group consists largely of people with missing data holes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phil

Gilbert Ritschard, Department of Economics and
Institute for Demographic and Life Course Studies,
University of Geneva, 40, bd du Pont-d'Arve, CH-1211 Genève 4, Switzerland
http://mephisto.unige.ch