[Traminer-users] Sequential analyses of video data: Is TraMineR for me?

Bertolt Meyer bmeyer at sozpsy.uzh.ch
Fri Oct 15 11:23:06 CEST 2010

Hello TraMineR - users,

I am looking for a possibility to perform (lag-) sequential analysis
on video-coded interaction data with R. I have read parts on the
TraMineR manual in order to find out whether it contains the right
tools for the job. However, I realized that my knowledge of sequence
data is currently too limited and that I will have to do a lot more
reading.  But before I invest several days (weeks?) into learning all
this, I wanted to briefly ask whether TraMineR is the right package
for me.

I have about 100 behavior-coded group discussions (~30 mins each) of
3-4 individuals each. For each discussion, a coding scheme was used to
sequence the interactions in speech acts. There are between 300 and
1500 speech acts per discussion. For each speech act, we coded who
spoke to whom, what was said (three main categories: Content/
Regulation/Control), how dominant it was said (Dom 1-5), how friendly
it was said (Affi 1-5), whether it was a question or a suggestion, and
whether other group members agreed or disagreed. For one discussion,
the data looks like this:

Act	Timestamp		Who	toWhom	MainCategory	Dom	Affi	Qest/Suggest	Agreement
1	00:06:24-00:10:45	1	3	3		3	3	2		1
2	00:10:50-00:21:40	2	5	2		3	3	2		1

Thus, we have many acts that were generated by few people with few
coded categories per act. I want to find out whether certain
combinations of codes (e.g., dominant-unfriendly acts) are followed by
certain other events more often than chance. In the psychology
literature, this is referred to as a lag-sequential analysis. r-seek
did not give me anything useful when I searched for that term. I was
wondering whether the pseudo-ANOVA function of TraMineR delivers
something similar?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Bertolt