[tlocoh-info] Hull metrics

Andy Lyons lyons.andy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 19:32:56 CET 2015

Hi Julia,

That's a good question. It seems you need a way to identify hulls that
belong to specific sites, and save the site location as an ancillary
variable (which can then serve as a hull metric). There isn't a function
currently in the package that can classify points or hulls based on
their location in space, but we could develop one because I think this
would have general utility.

How specifically would you want to assign points / hulls to sites? One
option for defining a site would be with a polygon, either by drawing
one on the plot window or bringing in a shapefile. Another option would
be defining a site based on distance from a given location (i.e., a
circle). After defining the site, would you want to say that any point
(and thus the hull for that point) that falls within the site? Or would
you only want hulls whose entire area falls within the site?

Comment from other people welcome also.

Thanks.

Andy