[tlocoh-info] Parameter selection in a linear moving species

Irene Weinberger irene.weinberger at uzh.ch
Wed Jun 11 18:43:35 CEST 2014

Dear tlocoh-Group

I have followed the discussion with Anna and Thomas and it has clarified
some questions. Unfortunately not all. I am working with otters that
move along rivers and I think that LocoH's are a fine approach to
estimate home range size as they are built nicely along the linear
features. However, I am facing few problems and I wonder what you think
about it:

a) I have data of only few animals but from them, I have a time span of
radiotracking of 6 months to about 28 months. Following your advices to
Thomas, I used an individuell varying s for each individual for the
timespan of 6 months (as this is the shortest tracking period) using the
"sfinder". So far, I did not subsample my data (I do have busts of
locations of 2-16 hours every 15 min followed by days when the animal
has not been tracked or just single locations within those days and all
varies among the individuals).
I was wondering if I need to subsample of if I account for this when
using s > 0.

b) My animals belong to a linear moving species that keeps to rivers and
streams. I understand that I should be using the same k for all
individuals for the estimation of the home range. However, while most of
the LocoH's converge at around k=38, I have two individuals where the
locoH's converge only at high ks (85 and 190, respectively) and if I use
the highest k for all of the individuals, then I get much too large home
ranges. I am here at a loss how to proceed and would like to hear if you
have any suggestions.

Best wishes
Irene