[Sorvi-admin] Fwd: Quantum-GIS seminar

Joona Lehtomäki joona.lehtomaki at helsinki.fi
Wed Feb 29 09:09:02 CET 2012

Moi,

Alla ilmo Viikissä 8.3. järkättävästä QGIS-semmasta. Jos kiinnostaa,
niin mukaan mahtuu kuulema muutama laitoksen ulkopuoleltakin, mutta
viestiä ei kannata laittaa laajempaan jakeluun.

Joona

Dear All,

We are arranging the demonstration of open source Quantum GIS and GRASS
teaching module in new Environmental house's seminar room (Viikinkaari
2a, 2. floor) on Thursday March 8th at 13-16. These are good alternative
tools for ArcGIS in different GIS-analyses. We are also discussing would
there be a need for a longer course later in April/May, or in next autumn.

Juhana Nieminen from GISMOOD visits us next week on 8th of March to
demonstrate a GIS teaching module, which GISMOOD has developed on open
source software platforms Q-GIS and GRASS. The teaching package is
designed  for intensive three-day use by individuals from private-,
public-, and academic-sectors who wish to learn the essential aspects of
utilizing QGIS for analyzing spatial data from a beginners' level
through to a professional level of competency. Part of this training
also covers working with GRASS as  a plugin for QGIS, and also as a
standalone GIS.

Juhana will tell us about the modules and also demonstrate them. In the
end of this email is detailed program of the seminar.

Register to seminar latest at 6.3. in
https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/33831/lomake.html

I hope we got a plenty of  participants even in this short notice. If
there comes more participants than fit to our seminar room, researchers
and doctoral students have a priority to participate. We'll info
registrated persons about this in 7th of March.

Best regards,

Juhana Nieminen & Tarmo Virtanen
--------------
Dr Tarmo Virtanen
University Lecturer
Department of Environmental Sciences
P.O Box 27
00014 University of Helsinki
Finland
Phone: +358919157842
--------------

Open Source Geographical Information Systems (GIS) using Quantum GIS (QGIS)
Viikki, 8th March 2012

Participants are to be given two paper hand-outs before the seminar
commences:
1) Summary of key-points from the slide presentation
2) A5 Flyer marketing the GIS-FOSS-1 course to be held in Viikki in May

1300 - 1315: Introduction:
Tarmo & Juhana introduce the seminar. Juhana tells about himself and
about GISMOOD - show the first slide showing the content of the seminar

1315 - 1415: Lecture: Open Source Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
using Quantum GIS (QGIS) Give the introductory presentation on FOSS GIS.
This will take at least 60 minutes based on the number of slides in the
Power Point presentation.

1415 - 1430: Short Break
When the presentation reaches the slide concerning the QGIS
screen-casts, at this point allow a short break for participants to get
a coffee, use the toilet, etc.

1430 - 1530: QGIS Screen-Casts
Play the provided screen-casts and give a live verbal commentary as
necessary based on the provided screencast notes.
Downloading & Installing QGIS from the Internet (4.5min)
QGIS Graphical User Interface (GUI) (3.5min)
Viewing & symbolizing vector & raster data (5 min)
Editing an attribute table (2.5 min)
Digitizing a new vector layer (3 min)
Using the QGIS Print Composer (12.5 min)
Installing & utilizing QGIS Plugins: The OpenLayers Plugin (3.5min)
Reprojecting vector layers with QGIS (4.5min)
Conducting spatial analysis with QGIS (9min)
Integrating QGIS with GRASS functionality

1430 - 1600: Group Discussion
Use the final part of the seminar to develop a group discussion on FOSS
GIS and the participants' interests in the software. Make notes of any
important point/concerns that are raised.

END OF SEMINAR