[Seqinr-forum] problems with connecting to the database

stacy xu stacyxuliwen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 05:55:09 CET 2011

Hi, everyone,

I have several refSeq IDs with me trying to find the map of those to the
species or genus. I encountered SeqinR and thought it would solve my
problem. However, when I typed choosebank() as suggested by the manual, I
got the following error message:

# Error in socketConnection(host = host, port = port, server = server,
blocking = blocking,  :
#   cannot open the connection
# In addition: Warning message:
# In socketConnection(host = host, port = port, server = server, blocking =
blocking,  :
#   pbil.univ-lyon1.fr:5558 cannot be opened
# Error in choosebank() : I wasn't able to open the socket connection:
#    o Check that your are connected to the internet.
#    o Check that port 5558 is not closed by a firewall.
#    o Try to increase timeout value (current is 5 seconds).

I have internet access with my R (through a pre-configured proxy though.).
Could anyone suggest what is happening there? Thanks.

Thanks,
Stacy