[Seqinr-forum] How (and where) to get aligned tRNA sequences (and import it into R)

Tal Galili tal.galili at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 23:50:12 CET 2010

(Question at the end of the e-mail)

Hi Jean,

After asking for help in several places, I got the following reply from a
very helpful member of this database:
http://gtrnadb.ucsc.edu/

She wrote to me that:

Primary sequences of different tRNA isotypes do not align well. You will
> have to include the secondary structure to do the alignments. The secondary
> structure page of each genome in GtRNAdb shows the linear representation of
> the secondary structure for each tRNA produced with covariance model. You
> can use that to align the tRNAs you are interested.

> Hope this help.

Patricia

Now, for our example, if I want to have this:
http://gtrnadb.ucsc.edu/Aero_pern/Aero_pern-align.html
Imported into R, I could try to use a file from here:
http://gtrnadb.ucsc.edu/Aero_pern/Aero_pern-structs.html
(Which is based on a calculation of the secondary structure of the tRNA)
If I had that file easily available that would be nice. But I can't seem to
download it from the site.

Which leaves me asking:
1) Should I (somehow) compute the secondary structures of tRNA's, and then
use that for alignment ?
2) (if yes) How can I compute the secondary structures of tRNA's in R? (is
it even possible?!)
3) After doing that, is there a tool to easily align the tRNA's ? (in the
dataset I gave links to there is a legend
<http://gtrnadb.ucsc.edu/legend.html>of how to do this with that algorithm
coding.  But I imagine this will be different for each coding system)

Thanks for any help,
Tal

Contact me: Tal.Galili at gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)