[Seqinr-forum] querying genbank to get the sequence for an accession

Coghlan, Avril A.Coghlan at ucc.ie
Mon Nov 9 15:20:25 CET 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I am just learning how to use SeqinR and it looks extremely useful.

I am trying to figure out how I can use SeqinR to query the genbank database to get the sequence corresponding to a particular accession number, but am having a problem.

For example, the accession number corresponding to the Bacteriophage lambda genome is NC_001416.

I tried to get this sequence by typing in R:

Ø  library("seqinr")

Ø  choosebank("genbank")

Ø  query("lambda","AC=NC_001416")

The first two commands work fine, however, I get this error message from the query command:

   Error in query("lambda", "AC=NC_000907") :

     invalid request:"unknown accession number at (^): \"AC

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, as other requests are working fine for me, eg. the command

Ø  query("lambda","AC=CP001252")

works fine for me.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I will be very grateful for any advice you can give.

Regards,

Avril

Avril Coghlan

Department of Microbiology