[Rprotobuf-yada] building on windows

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Feb 17 02:34:24 CET 2011

On 16 February 2011 at 16:59, eckuipers-web at yahoo.com wrote:
| Hey all,
|
| I again look again at building RProtoBuf on windows...
| How do i  start? The first thing is to do a ./configure i guess? Now i have my
| regular  mingw/msys environment in which i could try to do this. But R also
| comes with its own mingw compiler environment in Rtools. Does Rtools have a
| shell  in which i could do the configure?

When we mentioned this to Kenton, he looked surprised -- to him it just
worked via 'configure; make; make install'.  It was my understanding that he
used just a regular MSys / MinGW environment for this.

So if you have bit of patience to try this, I would suggest the following
two-step:

  i)  take the Protocol Buffers folks by their word and see if you can build
      a MinGW library and binary; this should work with a regular MSys but
      you may need to install a few tools; I recall it failed for me when it
      came to libtool so maybe I had a bad libtool version

  ii) with a library from i), we should be able to have R and RProtoBuf take
      advantage of it.

Doing i) would be a really great help.

We could even talk to Uwe to see if he'd want it for CRAN builds.