[Rprotobuf-yada] reading messages from files

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Nov 6 16:18:45 CET 2009

On 6 November 2009 at 09:57, Saptarshi Guha wrote:
| Excellent work. A few issues with building
| In both cases i checked out from SVN(fresh copy)
| cd rprotobuf/
| R CMD INSTALL pkg
|
| 1) On Leopard 10.5,
| it builds, but when I try to load
|
| library(RProtoBuf)
| Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
|    unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
| Resources/library/RProtoBuf/libs/i386/RProtoBuf.so':
|    dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/RProtoBuf/
| libs/i386/RProtoBuf.so, 6): Symbol not found:
| __ZN8tutorial11AddressBookC1Ev
|    Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
| RProtoBuf/libs/i386/RProtoBuf.so
|    Expected in: dynamic lookup
|
| Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RProtoBuf'

Can you please show the gcc compile + link instructions resulting from R CMD INSTALL ?

| 2) On RHEL5
| (uname: Linux spica 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 23 19:59:19 EDT
| 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
| even though  I have protobuf installed
| checking for protoc... yes
| checking for ProtoBuf headers and library... no
|

|    Your installation does not appear to have ProtoBuf headers and
| libraries.
|
|    Please make sure that you have a working and complete ProtoBuf
| installation.
|
| ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RProtoBuf'
| ** Removing '/ln/meraki/custom/lib64/R/library/RProtoBuf'

Please install protobuf for RHEL, or directly, and try again.  If you have it
installed, adjust confiure.in and re-run autoconf.

| 3) I now think that it might not be useful to merge rprotobuf (which I
| plan to rename rpbsz) with this new package.
| I saw the examples and there are really nice. Everything I did in
| rprotobuf can be done from within R via RProtoBuf(or wrappers around it)
| and my package is just a wrapper around one proto file wherea
| RProtoBuffer can handle any proto file.
| I'm thinking that it would be enough to keep the proto file i used in
| the proto directory as an example (though it is a very detailed proto
| file).

If you really don't want to join, fine.  I still think it would make perfect
sense to join forces.