[Rprotobuf-yada] reading messages from files

Saptarshi Guha saptarshi.guha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:57:50 CET 2009

Excellent work. A few issues with building
In both cases i checked out from SVN(fresh copy)
cd rprotobuf/
R CMD INSTALL pkg

1) On Leopard 10.5,
it builds, but when I try to load

library(RProtoBuf)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
Resources/library/RProtoBuf/libs/i386/RProtoBuf.so':
   dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/RProtoBuf/
libs/i386/RProtoBuf.so, 6): Symbol not found:
__ZN8tutorial11AddressBookC1Ev
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
RProtoBuf/libs/i386/RProtoBuf.so
   Expected in: dynamic lookup

Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RProtoBuf'

2) On RHEL5
(uname: Linux spica 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 23 19:59:19 EDT
2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
even though  I have protobuf installed
checking for protoc... yes
checking for ProtoBuf headers and library... no

   Your installation does not appear to have ProtoBuf headers and
libraries.

   Please make sure that you have a working and complete ProtoBuf
installation.

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RProtoBuf'
** Removing '/ln/meraki/custom/lib64/R/library/RProtoBuf'

3) I now think that it might not be useful to merge rprotobuf (which I
plan to rename rpbsz) with this new package.
I saw the examples and there are really nice. Everything I did in
rprotobuf can be done from within R via RProtoBuf(or wrappers around it)
and my package is just a wrapper around one proto file wherea
RProtoBuffer can handle any proto file.
I'm thinking that it would be enough to keep the proto file i used in
the proto directory as an example (though it is a very detailed proto
file).

Regards
Saptarshi