[Rprotobuf-yada] lots of updates

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Nov 4 20:41:19 CET 2009

On 4 November 2009 at 19:17, Romain Francois wrote:
| > And you even went to one namespace only :)
|
| I sort of intercepted your commit. I hope I did not do damage otherwise,
| please let me know if you commited something else that disappeared

Well for as long as svn cleanly applies it changes we're fine.

| > Could you possibly set up a little demo() file that just 'does stuff' ?
| > Otherwise I get lost between the different man pages.
|
| Sure. The page for the protobufMessage class is the one that contains
| most of the stuff.

Cool, thanks. I see that we have one now. Haven't tried it yet...

| > | meaning we need to create istream and ostream based on R connections.
| >
| > Never tried that.  We could start pedestrian and parse from text connections
| > (files) first and later bring things down to C++ in a more general way.
|
| Files are easy, but kind of boring. One potential way I'd like to use

Yes, but a good test case. If those work, extending to other connections
should be fine.

| this is to communicate with some other process, so typically send the
| message through a binary socket, and it would be a pity to have to go
| through files for this

Absolutely.

| We can take R connections completely out of the loop and sort of
| recreate them, but that's a shame I think.

Oh, maybe I misunderstood. So connections but not R connections?

| > By the way, if there are Rcpp you need or could think of let me know!
|
| If we can manage to disguise r connections as c++ streams, I think this
| fits nicer in Rcpp than in RProtoBuf.

Ack. Something to think about.