[Rprotobuf-yada] unit tests

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Sat Dec 19 15:17:40 CET 2009

The vignette refused to build for some reason, so I wiped it out (not
very constructive way of doing things, ...).

We definitely need testing. I am still not 100% clear about garbage
collection, finalizers and external pointers. unit testing would help me
sleep at nights.

RUnit/svUnit, I don't really care. One plus for RUnit is that it has
report generation which svUnit currently lacks. Did you get round to
have a look at how google tests the C++ code ?

In terms of development, what I do now on the package is bring to R the
C++ classes as external pointers, starting with the streams  :

$ grep setClass.*Stream pkg/R/*.R
pkg/R/00classes.R:setClass( "ZeroCopyInputStream", representation(
pkg/R/00classes.R:setClass( "ArrayInputStream", contains =
"ZeroCopyInputStream" )
pkg/R/00classes.R:setClass( "FileInputStream", contains =
"ZeroCopyInputStream" )
pkg/R/00classes.R:setClass( "ConnectionInputStream", contains =
"ZeroCopyInputStream" )
pkg/R/00classes.R:setClass( "ZeroCopyOutputStream", representation(
pkg/R/00classes.R:setClass( "ArrayOutputStream", contains =
"ZeroCopyInputStream" )
pkg/R/00classes.R:setClass( "FileOutputStream", contains =
"ZeroCopyInputStream" )
pkg/R/00classes.R:setClass( "ConnectionOutputStream", contains =
"ZeroCopyOutputStream" )

mapping their c++ counterparts.
http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/reference/cpp/google.protobuf.io.zero_copy_stream.html

This is more an experiment and a way of learning about how to do it. You
don't need to use or know about these classes to use the package.

And it is quite a repetitive task, so I am starting to think about make
some sort of code generator .... could be good for Rcpp as well

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast