[Rnomads-user] Problems with "ArchiveGribGrab"

Matthew Binder mdbinder98 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 05:51:56 CEST 2020

Hello Daniel,

I would like to report a problem with the "archivegribgrab". The last post
in this archive addressed  the NCEP's migration to a different URL, and I
believe that this is true for the NOMADS archive as well.

I was working extensively with ArchiveGribGrab in 2019. and have only
continued recently. Earlier, the command:

ArchiveGribGrab(abbrev, date, time00, preds, file.type = "grib2")

would yield the files of interest, this command now returns an error
message as such:

Error in file(con, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(con, "r") :
  InternetOpenUrl failed: 'A connection with the server could not be
established'

Additionally, I have another question regarding the use of archived NOMADS
files. Calculations with these files are very time and memory intensive. Is
it possible to reduce the latitude-longitude range so that these
calculations become more manageable? For example, if I was interested in
studying weather patterns over the United States over the past year, is it
possible to reduce the grb files to only include data from the United
States?

Please advise on the best solution to these problems. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Matthew Binder