[Rnomads-user] CrawlModels error: Error in doc_parse_raw(x, encoding = encoding, base_url = base_url, as_html = as_html, : Excessive depth in document: 256 use XML_PARSE_HUGE option [1]

aakremena at aol.com aakremena at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 22:43:03 CEST 2017

Hi rNOMADS users,

1. Just started with rNOMADS and the first attempt to download data:
                         R> urls_out <- CrawlModels(abbrev = "gfs_0p25_1hr", depth = 2)
fails with Error in doc_parse_raw(x, encoding = encoding, base_url = base_url, as_html = as_html,  :    Excessive depth in document: 256 use XML_PARSE_HUGE option [1].

2. The suggestion from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33819103/parsing-small-web-page-with-xml2-throws-xml-parse-huge-error, i.e. to try

               library(drat)
               drat:::add("shabbychef")
               install.packages('xml2')
doesn't take care of the problem.

3. I see on the net discussions concerning this problem since around 2015.  Are there any developments or workarrounds available?

4. More specifically, can anybody suggest a way to go around this error?

Thank you in advance.

Anguel