[Rnomads-user] rNOMADS 2.1.6 released

Patrick King king.pws at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 13:28:40 CET 2015

Hello Danny,

Thank you very much for your nomads work.  I have used it to extract GFS
data and plot cross-sections using RAOB. I enjoy looking at your balloon
work.  I was the forecaster for a research project studying stratospheric
ozone based in Saskatchewan in 1975 and the pictures bring back memories of
the ballon launches. We even had some go astray too.

I am migrating from a dual Linux/Windows system to a Macintosh and I cannot
get rNomads to work.  The problem seems to be in accessing wgrib2.

Here is a snippet from my bash terminal:

~/SCI/rNomads $ echo $PATH

/Users/pking/ ...   n:/usr/local/wgrib2:/usr/local/wgrib

~/SCI/rNomads $ wgrib2 fcst.grb

1:0:d=2015120900:TMP:800 mb:6 hour fcst:

2:131801:d=2015120900:RH:800 mb:6 hour fcst:

3:378897:d=2015120900:TMP:2 m above ground:6 hour fcst:

4:627907:d=2015120900:RH:2 m above ground:6 hour fcst:

~/SCI/rNomads $

So wgrib2 is on my path and it does find 'fcst.grb' downloaded by rNomads.
However rNomads can't find wgrib2 from within R:

[Workspace loaded from ~/SCI/rnomads/.RData]

> system("wgrib2")
sh: wgrib2: command not found

DO you have any idea where I should look now?

Thanks

Pat

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Bowman, Daniel <haksaeng at live.unc.edu>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I've just released rNOMADS 2.1.6.  It now allows you to define a region to
> return data from in ReadGrib.  This should speed up data processing by
> orders of magnitude for those of you who are using archived grib data (such
> as gfs-anl), since those don't give an option to subset server-side.
>

> Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for further work.
>

> Best,
>

> Danny
>

> Daniel C. Bowman
> Doctoral Candidate in Geophysics