[Remoterengine-devel] Running RemoteREngine from Eclipse

Ian Long ilong at stoatsoftware.com
Mon Sep 14 13:06:50 CEST 2009

>>  As part of this I have checked in
>> some changes to the build.xml to update some of the dependencies and
>> updated the .bat scripts within the bin directory to start the server&
>> client from Windows. Currently the scripts have a hardcoded path for the
>> java.rmi.server.codebase property as I haven't managed to find a way to
>> get Dos to generate a URL with /s instead of \s.
>
> That's the kind of thing that is much easier to handle in an R script,
> which is the recommended way to start the server.

Sure but there is still a case for supporting starting R from Java to
assist with testing via debuggers, testing via continuous integration
servers and (in the future) load balancers to enable multiple instances
of RemoteREngines to be started.

>> I still have a couple of items that I don't fully understand:
<snip>
>>> 2.) Eclipse doesn't seem to like the package directory structure we are
>>> using and continually complains that .java files aren't in the
>>> appropriate directory even though they are. Doing Project ->  Clean
>>> resolves the issue temporarily
This was because by default Eclipse tries to build all your compiled
classes into a single directory. By selecting the "Allow output folders
for source folders" option within the Project -> Build Path property,
you can set a separate path for the class files from each of the
project's source folders. By setting the separate output folders I was
able to allow Eclipse and Ant to use the same directory structures for
their compilation.