[Rcpp-devel] segfault on exit CRAN+Intel only

Murray Efford murray.efford at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 08:47:02 CET 2024

Hi

A couple of days ago I posted on R-package-devel about a mysterious
segfault from R CMD checks of my package secrdesign (see
https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=secrdesign, and
https://github.com/MurrayEfford/secrdesign) The issue rises only on
CRAN and only with the Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler:

 *** caught segfault ***
address (nil), cause 'unknown'

As noted by Ivan Krylov and Uwe Ligges, the fault happens at the end
of the R session (as it quits()). The package passes when checked on
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler 2023.2.0 (2023.2.0.20230721) with
rhub2 .

Now, CRAN via Uwe Ligges has accepted a new version of secrdesign
despite the continuing error. My reason for raising it here is that
(i) it is likely to raise its head next time I update,
(ii) my experience may not be unique,
(iii) my use of Rcpp, RcppArmadillo and BH in this package is very
limited (https://github.com/MurrayEfford/secrdesign/tree/main/src),
and it may therefore be provide clues to an Rcpp pro.
(iv) I have just noticed a similar 'Additional issue' for
https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=ipsecr that also uses Rcpp,
RcppArmadillo and BH.
Any advice would be welcome. I have no experience with docker, so
answers in words of one or few syllables, please.
Murray