[Rcpp-devel] CRAN submission with NOTE about STRING_PTR

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jun 30 21:43:56 CEST 2024

Juan,

Rcpp has over 2800 reverse dependencies. We cannot check errors on all of
them, but you could spot check a few more than the one mentioned. The
tools::package_depencencies() function can give you all (straight or reverse)
dependencies of a package, or you can just glance at the CRAN page.

I am with Ralf here: I too have Rcpp-using packages on CRAN, and basically
all use charater variables, but I do not think I have that warning for them.

All that said in due time we hope to of course improve these matters.  The
next release should do so for one of the recently-outlawed accessors.  All
this is a lot of work, so don't expect miracles overnight.

Cheers, Dirk

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org