[Rcpp-devel] Locating an Instance of a Reference Class in the Environment

Matthew Supernaw - NOAA Federal matthew.supernaw at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 28 17:23:06 CEST 2023

Hi Dirk,
Thanks for your attention on this. I was able to find a solution that works
for us.
Matthew

https://github.com/NOAA-FIMS/ModularTMBExample/blob/map/src/tmb_objective_function.cpp#L133

On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 4:36 PM Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>
wrote:

> Well, feel free to ignore my post, but the gist was that anything you have
> access to in R can be passed by your R API code to your Rcpp code. Also,
> due to R's GC you should usually avoid caching references between calls to
> your Rcpp code anyway.
>
> On March 24, 2023 12:40:43 PM PDT, Matthew Supernaw - NOAA Federal <
> matthew.supernaw at noaa.gov> wrote:
> >Hi Jeff,
> >I'm not sure I understand your comment. The code is part of a package.
> >We're just trying to sync the declared object name in the R environment to
> >the object in the Rcpp module programmatically from c++ for internal use.
> >just wondered if there was a way to access the wrapped object in the
> >Rcpp:::PreserveStorage class and Dirk answered that question.
> >Thanks.
> >Matthew
> >

> >On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 2:34 PM Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Matthew... the normal context for sharing Rcpp code is within a package.
> >> It is a no-brainer to have an R API called by the user that calls
> whatever
> >> Rcpp code it needs to, which is why your objection seems inappropriate
> >> me.

> requirement
> >> is to
> >> declared
> >> there is
> by
> >> their
> in
> >> the

> valuable
> helper"
> >> is

> >> --
> >> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Matthew Supernaw
*Scientific Software Developer*
*National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration*
*Office Of Science and Technology*
*NOAA Fisheries | *U.S. Department of Commerce
Phone 248 - 396 - 7797