[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp_precious_remove again (Windows)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jan 20 02:40:30 CET 2023

On 19 January 2023 at 19:41, Dominick Samperi wrote:
| I narrowed the problem down to the call to R_ReplDLLdo1() in RInside, and I
| built R-4.3.0 pre-release version for Windows from source to investigate
| further (online instructions by Tomas Kalibera were very helpful).

Yes Tomas is a master of many tools and deep source of tricks and general help.

| But the problem does not occur with this version of R! Note that the problem
| did not occur in some older versions of R either.
|
| This version-dependence may be related to the fact that this function and
| others used by Rcpp/RInside are not part of the supported API for R, so the
| underlying implementation details for internals like external pointers may
| change.

Well I probably don't agree here.

Because (as per your Subject) 'Rcpp_precious_remove' is in this, as we had a
bit of transition to get to more effortlessly growing internal objects, I
still suspect (as per my first message in this thread) that you may have had
a cross of 'old' and 'new' approaches. A simple consisten recompilation
generally fixes that.  Per the NEWS.Rd we did the finaly clean up (a reset)
in 1.0.9. (We had improved unwind_protect since just after that release.)

But by all means, keep digging and look around if you think something is
suspicious there. It could well that we do something wrong on Windows, or
have another issue somewhere.  But I remain quite confident that things are
generally in good working order -- these RInside examples have all been
working fine more or less unchanged for close to a decade.

Cheers, Dirk

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org