[Rcpp-devel] CRAN note about std::cout in shared library

Kassel Hingee Kassel.Hingee at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 7 03:57:16 CET 2023

Hi all,

I'm running into CRAN check notes about std::cout being present in the Cpp code of a library I'm using.

    Found ‘_ZSt4cout’, possibly from ‘std::cout’ (C++)

It looks like Rcpp is automatically redirecting the std::cout stream to Rcout, which is very handy and to my (shallow) understanding, solves the CRAN concern about where output from the package goes. However, I'm still getting the above CRAN check note.

Does anyone know if CRAN will ignore this note, or if there is a way to avoid it without modifying the library?

This issue was discussed by Watal M. Iwasaki and Dirk back in 2018 [https://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/pipermail/rcpp-devel/2018-October/010163.html], but I couldn't find anything more recent in my searches sorry.

thank you
Kassel Hingee
0405 818 479
kassel.hingee at anu.edu.au
Postdoctoral Fellow
Statistician
Part-winner of the 2022 Eureka Prize in Applied Environmental Research
[cid:043242e3-8b7c-4eb2-9967-91c068ce528f]