[Rcpp-devel] Exporting rcpp-based function into parLapply workers in an R package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri May 14 23:30:08 CEST 2021

This is getting off topic but as you James saw fit to advertise his package
(as he should, it is clearly helpful to some, himself included), here are my
$0.02 of why it is not for me:

On 14 May 2021 at 20:54, Balamuta, James Joseph wrote:
| For code searches, consider using the {searcher} package: https://github.com/r-assist/searcher
|
| In particular, the search_github() function handles the query formatting. As an example, try:

I keep the R prompt(s) (in Emacs, generally) to data work, and do more work
like this on the shell. Where this is less useful (though I sometimes wrap R
commands in littler script). Here I particularly dislike

| searcher::search_github("clusterEvalQ ")
|
| This opens a web browser with:
|
| https://github.com/search?q=clusterEvalQ%20%20language:r%20type:issue&type=Issues

the shell-to-browser pivot. I have some "permanent tabs" dedicated to GH, I
prefer to search therein.  Also, why default to issues when the query didn't
have it? Anyway ...

| Lastly, there is an R-specific Google search engine available at: https://rseek.org/ It's not quite google code search, but it's useful! Plus, there is a {searcher} function for that as well, e.g. searcher::search_rseek().
| (Thanks Alex Rossell Hayes for that contribution.)

Yes that's been around for a while, but codesearch.google.com was still
better and is missed.  One of the other code aggregators that (AFAIK is also
gone now) had a different search engine too.

This whole thread is highly off-tocpic and likely answered by some SO answers
as has bee pointed out as well as possibly some discussions in the r-sig-hpc
list (which is mostly dormant these days).

https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org