[Rcpp-devel] Help with R CMD CHECK for rtree package

Kent Johnson kjohnson at akoyabio.com
Wed May 5 17:54:14 CEST 2021

Hi,

I am a maintainer of this package - https://github.com/akoyabio/rtree - originally inspired by this example - https://gallery.rcpp.org/articles/Rtree-examples/. This package wraps the rtree implementation from BH 1.7.2.0-3 to provide fast methods for finding points nearby to other points in large data sets.

 I want to submit the package to CRAN but I have a CMD CHECK warning on Windows that I can't resolve.

Running CMD CHECK from GitHub Actions, on Microsoft Windows Server 2019 10.0.17763, I get this error message:
-- R CMD check results ---------------------------------------- rtree 0.2.0 ----
Duration: 1m 42.7s

> checking whether package 'rtree' can be installed ... WARNING
  See below...

0 errors v | 1 warning x | 0 notes v
Error: Error: R CMD check found WARNINGs
Execution halted
Error: Process completed with exit code 1.

The full output is here: https://github.com/akoyabio/rtree/runs/2502841486?check_suite_focus=true
The message says "See below..." but there is nothing below?

Running on my local Windows 10 PC I get this warning and a note:
-- R CMD check results ---------------------------------------- rtree 0.2.0 ----
Duration: 1m 2.2s

> checking whether package 'rtree' can be installed ... WARNING
  See below...

> checking compiled code ... NOTE
  Note: information on .o files for x64 is not available
  File 'C:/Research/rtree.Rcheck/rtree/libs/x64/rtree.dll':
    Found 'abort', possibly from 'abort' (C), 'runtime' (Fortran)
    Found 'exit', possibly from 'exit' (C), 'stop' (Fortran)
    Found 'printf', possibly from 'printf' (C)

  Compiled code should not call entry points which might terminate R nor
  write to stdout/stderr instead of to the console, nor use Fortran I/O
  nor system RNGs. The detected symbols are linked into the code but
  might come from libraries and not actually be called.

  See 'Writing portable packages' in the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.

0 errors v | 1 warning x | 1 note x
Error: R CMD check found WARNINGs
Execution halted

Exited with status 1.

Again I have the "See below..." message and a confusing NOTE - I do not have any calls to abort, exit or printf in my code.

Any help in fixing the warning and note is much appreciated. If this is not an appropriate place to ask, please let me know what would be better. I'm perplexed.

Thank you,
Kent Johnson
Principal Software Developer
Akoya Biosciences