[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp function results are different on different systems

Naeem Khoshnevis khoshnevis.naeem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 17:04:04 CEST 2021

Thank you so much, everyone, for responding to this email.

Dirk,

   - I didn't think about testing _equality_ of doubles because the numbers
   are significantly different (e.g., instead of 0.5, chooses 1.5). However,
   that is a valid point, and I should be aware of that.
   - You are right about the serial runs. Whenever I deactivate OpenMP, the
   results are correct.

Serguei,

   - Thanks for the comments. Yes, I agree. It seems outer is a better
   option. We have started with outer. However, outer builds the entire matrix
   of differences first, then finds the minimum index. In our application, it
   requires 200 GB of memory to build that matrix. Rcpp does the job with
   around 10 MB. That is why I switched to Rcpp. Please let me know your
   thoughts.

Iñaki,

   - Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, the problem is shared values, and it
   resolved the issue. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Naeem