[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen-related compilation error for Windows i386

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Sep 20 00:25:19 CEST 2020

Evan,

As you posted a link to the repo, I took a look -- given my recent work on
RcppSpdlog this was of obvious interest.

Now, as I understand it, you are fighting two battles here:

1. You get an R CMD check warning on use of stderr. That is understandable as
you included _upstream_ spdlog. It will do that. Once you instrument it the
way RcppSpdlog does, this issue goes away.  The change is minimal as we can
simply create the 'r_sink_mt' instance we need in the Hnsw constructor. I
will send you a PR for that in a minute.

2. The 32bit issue. I have not yet looked into this but it might be best to
disentangle this.  As I mentioned, _maybe_ we need to switch to int64_t
use. Very very worst case you could simply disable the code via #define and
state that 'legacy systems' will no longer be supported ;-).  I am
half-kidding here but it is an option. Nobody is running your genomics
workload on systems from 15 years ago so ...

Cheers, Dirk

https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org